Friday, September 25, 2009

Tutorial 2

By Cameron Brownrigg

In this weeks journalism tutorial I was expected to write out a number of answers to a “suspect identification form”. This form, apparently, is meant to help me better my journalism and interviewing skills by first teaching me more about my own identity and personality.

The front page asked random questions, such as age, hair colour, hobbies etc. This, first of all, doesn’t make any sense to me. How can understanding what my eyebrows look like or where I hang out determine what kind of person I am? It seems like a meaningless exercise to test if you are really dumb enough to fill in the blanks. The page ends with asking about distinctive marks, places that are likely to be found, and peculiarities. How, in any way, can this improve our journalism skills? Many people are likely to be found at Friars on a Friday night, but that doesn’t mean that they are all exactly the same.

The other side of the sheet had a list of 35 adjectives, which we were then asked to name 4 for each of 4 categories, being love, family, student, and journalist/ blogger. After putting 4 adjectives into each of these categories, we were then asked to pick out the recurring ones. I, however, didn’t get any recurring ones. Does this mean I have no personality or identity?

Finally after this seemingly useless page was done, we were then asked to ramble on more on another blank page about why we want to be a journalist. This is all good and dandy, but how, in any way, does this help us become better journalists?

In terms of wasting time and getting to know what you look like (even though you probably look at yourself in the mirror at least 10 times a day) I think it was an awesome exercise. Bettering yourself in journalism by doing this exercise, however, is out of the question. Its useless.

1 comment:

  1. Manifesto
    By Renier Cronje
    The essence of Journalism, in my opinion, is not about reporting current affairs to the public nor the fact that it encompasses good reporting abilities across all fields of the genre. I believe that Journalism is a medium used to convey a message to the public on information that is relevant within their social context. I believe that Journalism is an artistic skill that a Journalist harnesses in order to bring truthful and just view points forward for the public to decide whether or not they agree with the issue at hand.

    However, I do not believe that any one person will share the same opinion as I have, therefore this blog will be dedicated to highlighting the negative attitudes and ideas that surround the Journalistic field. By using this method of pessimism, the blog will help readers understand a different side of Journalism. The readers will be exposed to the 'real truth' of Journalism and will be able to develop their own opinions of Journalism, which is essentially what every individual person should do on their own without the aid of bias reporters.

    I have always had a profound interest in the world of broadcasting which lead me to opt to study Journalism. I went through high school believing that being a news reader, television reporter, radio news reporter or news writer was what I had always wanted to be. I had thought that the only way I could realize this dream was to study Journalism. In my final year of school I explored my options and enrolled at Rhodes University for a Bachelor of Journalism degree. I arrived at Rhodes doe eyed and oblivious to the syllabus i was about to be taught.

    Journalism is not all about the practical aspect of being a reporter but there is also the side of Media Studies. Media Studies basically focuses on theories surrounding media. There are a numerous modules involving the analysis of texts, narratives and genre, technological advancements and what the effect it has on Journalism etc.

    If I had known that there was so much theory I would never have chosen to study Journalism. I was working as a journalist for the local newspaper and getting paid quite nicely. I even thought of applying to be a radio jockey for the new radio station that was started as a couple of my friends, without degrees in journalism, were employed and now have so many new doors that could open up for them.

    A warning notice should clearly be visible on the page when explaining the courses to prospective students. However, a proper understanding and clear guides of a course are a necessity when deciding whether or not to study Journalism or go straight into the field.

    ReplyDelete